To create a sharing platform for women employees and ensure their equal participation in the organization, the GPIT Women’s Council has been formed. It was launched on 8th March, 2012 as a part of International Women’s Day celebrations held at North South University.
Successful women from diverse background were present at the event including GPIT’s own female contingent and North South University students. The event was highly interactive as guests and attendees discussed at great length about issues faced by women in everyday life and to conclude the day, Syeda Yasmin Rahman, the Chief People Officer of GPIT, unveiled the council. Mayeeda Chowdhury, Head of Women Rights and Gender Equality, Action Aid International, Shaheda Mustafiz, Managing Director, 20-20 Technologies Bangladesh Ltd., Sonia Bashir Kabir, Coutnry Head of Dell Computers Bangladesh, Dr. Shireen Huq, Professor and Chairman of Dept. of English, NSU and Dr. Abdul Hannan, Professor, Director and Dean of School of Business, NSU also spoke at the event.
According to December 2011 statistics, only 12% of GPIT’s workforce comprised of women. To increase this number, GPIT has taken this unique initiative. GPIT believes that this step will enable women employees to hone their leadership skill and build confidence. The objectives of women’s council are:
- Development of Leadership expectation in women
- Co-ordination and implementation of counseling services in areas of self-knowledge, occupation, exploration, professionalism and motivation
- Collaboration to provide supportive instructional guidance
- Consultation and Coordination in developing strategy and plan for improving working environment.
- Monthly Women Session/Seminar with successful women Leaders.
- Open Discussion
- Training/Workshop arrangement according to requirement
- Recommendation on policy level changes
- Exposure program for achievements
- Communication program for changing attitude
The executive committee will be elected every year to ensure wider perspective and greater participation. All the female employees at GPIT are automatically members of the Women’s Council. There is an Executive Committee which will oversee the proceedings for the future council events. Present Executive Committee members are:
- Jahrat Adib Chowdhury, Head of Finance & Corporate Affairs
- Manizeh Shahrin Sayeed, Executive, People & Organization
- Rumesa Husain, Deputy General Manager, Commercial
- Zabeen Yusuf Nur, Deputy General Manager, Technology
This will enable the development of women in the organization through training and workshops, wherever the necessity lies. It will also monitor policy level changes to enable the greater intake of women in the workforce, in all level positions. The progress of women employees in the corporate ladder shall be of utter importance in GPIT. The council hopes to change some perspectives and manners in which women are treated at a workplace by hosting communicational programs to aid the transformation of the stereotypic viewpoint.
In addition, this will provide greater employment opportunities for prospective female professionals in suitable positions and provide them with greater exposure to women’s issues. The objective of this is to help motivate them to tackle new challenges and strive towards excellence and achieve the great expectations that will take GPIT its highest endeavors. GPIT believes that this initiative will also encourage other companies operating in Bangladesh to adopt similar measure to contribute towards women’s development and empowerment.
Source: GPIT Official Press Release